Sunday, March 18, 2012

I Can't Get It Out Of My Head




I Can't Get It Out Of My Head!!!

And it's all his fault:


Alan Moore

I won't go into a lengthy bio/history here...for those unfamiliar with Alan Moore...you might find you know him after all:









I'm not doing a bio because this post isn't exactly about Alan Moore...it's about something he said.  Quite recently, it seems that everywhere I turn, this quote is waiting there to meet me, greet me, beat me, haunt me, ...challenge me...Challenge Us:

"In latter times I feel that artists and writers have allowed themselves to be sold down the river.  They have accepted the prevailing belief that art and writing are merely forms of entertainment...they're not seen as transformative forces that can change a human being, that can change a society."

I have no intention of deconstructing this text, or rendering repetitive metaphorical reconstructions of Mr. Moore's point, like the newscaster who spends an hour telling you what the President just spent 4 minutes saying.  I freely admit my agreement with this premise, in general and in principle.  In point of fact, I'm just going to let his words sit there in front of you and speak for themselves and ask YOU to consider them.  I have considered them, obviously, and will return to that subject momentarily.

Christopher Knowles at The Secret Sun deems this quote worthy of consideration.  This doesn't surprise me as Mr. Knowles' art and writing have played a large part in my own transformation as a human being.

Raj Sisodia at Amid Night Suns believes " transformation is possible.  Evolution is possible.  I've lived it, my girlfriend has lived it, as I'm sure everyone reading this has lived it.  Despite all the darkness and injustice in the world, it is still possible to be touched by divine fire.  It's still possible to witness a revelation, even if it's only a glimpse."

Witness the power in the art of Raj Sisodia:





Ted Torbich at Tenebroust's The Stench of Truth believes in the power of transformation... belief strong enough to fuel his blog, radio show, Facebook page, and YouTube channel.

The 80's cover band Mullet Over believes, as their recent benefit show and auction for the widow and children of a recently deceased friend aptly demonstrate:



Alan Moore, in my (everyone's?) opinion, used art and writing to help transform society, so he is uniquely qualified to speak with authority in this regard.  How did he do it?  One simple way to see it is like this:

Mr. Moore influenced the transformation of Mr. Knowles....who influenced the transformation of Mr. Sisodia, Mr. Torbich, and Mr. Davis...who influenced etc.   

Look at the words again:

"In latter times I feel that artists and writers have allowed themselves to be sold down the river.  They have accepted the prevailing belief that art and writing are merely forms of entertainment...they're not seen as transformative forces that can change a human being, that can change a society."

Oh, I'm not a well known author like Mr. Knowles or an audio/video mixing wizard like Mr. Sisodia.  I do own a guitar like Mike McLeish of Mullet Over, but I don't know how to play, and unlike Mr. Torbich, the first time I heard the word "podcast" I thought it was a new type of fishing reel!!
Me, I'm just a guy with a voice...but like all of you...my voice...my symbols...have their own power...to act as transformative forces.  

Do I think I can transform society?



possibly, but...probably not.  However, like Mr. Moore, I believe with every ounce of my being that 


WE CAN!!!  

Think of the Creative Explosion of Art which marked the emergence of  modern man as briefly discussed here:  http://thedeconstructionzone.blogspot.com/2012/03/brief-interpretive-overview-of-upper.html.  A more universal frame of reference would have to be The Renaissance...a perfect example of art and writing helping to bring a society out of one of it's darkest times.  Some would point to The Federalist Papers, Uncle Tom's Cabin, French Impressionism, or The Silence Dogood Letters.  Others might relate to the more recent Postmodern architectural movement: http://thedeconstructionzone.blogspot.com/2011/04/postmodernism-in-socio-cultural.html.  Who among us in their lifetime has not contemplated the simple but powerful words of The Serenity Prayer?

To the legendary mage Mr. Moore, I say what my nature and heart compel me, and what I hope he wants to hear and I entreat you all to join me:


   "Challenge Accepted"

Dave ~ Thanks for your time.  I hope we get to know each other better.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, David, for a great post and the link to my video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my talented friend! You are an inspiration!

      Delete